Monday, February 28, 2011

What Idol(s) are you stilll holdig onto in "Egypt"?

“…I will never leave thee nor forsake thee….”    Heb. 13:5

“Lord, I know You will never leave me nor forsake (abandon) me, but I am not sure I can pass the test of forsaking what I should forsake.”
I admire the decision of Moses, who “….forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king….”  (Heb. 11:27 KJV)
He forsook the spirit of Egypt, the wealth and the prestige of Egypt.  I am most fascinated by the fact that he did all this while still in the land of Egypt.
He lived in Egypt but Egypt did not live in him.
I have given up many things that did not count for the sake of Christianity.  I was happy to give up things that no longer had meaning to me.  It is so easy to sacrifice the things you no longer desire!
But Moses sacrificed Egypt for God’s sake while still surrounded by its charm and magnetism.
How hard it is to sacrifice for You, Lord, when I am surrounded by the things and people I love, along with wealth, popularity, position and power.
To see God past these things requires the eye of faith and to decide-------to choose God then is to forsake this world even as Jesus forsook it when He denied Satan’s offer to rule in his kingdom.
Lot was forced to abandon the riches of Sodom, while Moses gladly gave up Egypt.
“Lord, You will separate me from everything I cling to in “Egypt” but first You will ask me to do it voluntarily.  
You want me to love You enough and trust You enough to make it my choice.
  Holy Spirit, please help me be a voluntary forsaker and not a forced one.  I know it is Your desire to make me a man/woman of God, not a warmed over replica of this world.
Help me to forsake those things that offend You.    Empower me, Holy Spirit, to be obedient to the point of separating myself from the things of this world.”
What idol (s) are you still holding on to in “Egypt”?
Have you let go and trusted God to separate you from “Egypt”
“…I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ [right up to the time of His return], developing [that good work] and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you.”   Phil. 1:6  Amp

No comments:

Post a Comment