Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Serve the king of Babylon and Live!"

If I am being stubborn about obedience or a sin, God may force me to take ‘the cure’.  The cure is described in Jer. 27:17, “Serve the king of Babylon and live!”   It is a strange message to hear.   We would expect to hear, “Serve the Lord and live!”   But, the right thing was wrong and the wrong thing was right.
There are times when God allows and even commands me to do what He has forbidden.  Rev. 22:11,  “He that is filthy, let him be filthy still…”    
 Is it because God is unholy?     No!   He urges that direction because He is holy.  He simply wants me to get my fill of sin so completely that the very thought of it nauseates me.
None of the prophets was able to convince Israel to leave their sins, yet seventy years in Babylon did what no prophet could do.   He sent them captive into the very center of idolatry, and they came out a cleansed nation after 70 years.
Must God go to such extremes with me?    Must I be submerged in sin in order to see its odiousness?  
Must I be forced into obedience and repentance?  
 “Lord, I pray that you will make me so sensitive to sin that its slightest presence will send me to my knees and make me run from those who are insensitive to sin.   Protect me from those around me who live in sin and have no desire to change.”
The distinguishing feature of any true disciple of Jesus is one who is very sensitive to sin.  The slightest sin should make me mourn, weep and agonize.  Lord, “please make me so sensitive to sin that when I am averse to sin it means the Holy Spirit is refining me to Your image, a new heart and the right spirit.”  (Psalm 51:10)
“Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.”   Heb. 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment