Wednesday, November 28, 2012

“They have done this……….”


“If I hadn’t done such miraculous signs among them that no one else could do, they would not be guilty. But as it is, they have seen everything I did, yet they still hate me and my Father.   This fulfills what is written in their Scriptures: ‘They hated me without cause.’”   John 16:24-25 NLT

 

In John 15:24 Jesus states that the world is guilty because they have rejected His works. Jesus said, “If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would not have sin; but now they have both seen and hated Me and My Father as well.”

Jesus performed all kinds of miracles. He healed the sick, He cast out demons, He fed thousands, He calmed the sea, and He raised the dead.  Yet, the world rejected His works.

In some cases, the world even attributed Jesus’ works to Satan (Matt 12:24).  No matter what Jesus said or did, the world chose to ignore Him and rebel against Him.

Sadly, even the death and resurrection of Jesus have not persuaded most people that Jesus is God. Consequently, the world stands condemned for the rejection of Jesus (John 3:18, 36; Rom 1:18-3:20).

In John 15:25 Jesus argues that the world is guilty because they have rejected the Old Testament.  Jesus says, “But they have done this to fulfill the word that is written in their Law, ‘THEY HATED ME WITHOUT A CAUSE.’”

The ultimate reason for the world’s rejection of Jesus and His revelation of the Father is found in the Old Testament Scriptures.  Jesus quotes from Psalm 69:4 saying: “Those who hate me without a cause
Are more than the hairs of my head;
They are mighty who would destroy me,
Being my enemies wrongfully;
Though I have stolen nothing,
I still must restore it.”

This has resulted in their rejection of God.

Jesus’ words could prove to be overwhelming, so He brings up the ministry of the Holy Spirit. Jesus said, “When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me, and you will testify also, because you have been with Me from the beginning.”

 In the midst of the world’s hatred and rejection, the Spirit provides comfort, encouragement, and strength. Jesus teaches the disciples that they still have a responsibility to provide a witness to the love and truth found in Christ alone. Although it is important to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us (Matt 5:44), it is also critical to proclaim Jesus as well. Christians need to exhibit both life and action, not just lip service.

How have I been persecuted for my faith?

How did I deal with this persecution?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment