Thursday, November 15, 2012

“The Cure…….”


Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us…”  Hebrews 12:1 NKJV

If I am particularly stubborn about a weakness or sin of mine, God may force me to take “the cure.”   The cure is described in Jeremiah 27:17; “Serve the king of Babylon, and live!”  

Strange message indeed from a true servant of God, as Jeremiah was. We would expect to hear, “Serve the Lord and live!”  But no, the right thing was wrong; the wrong thing was right.

There are times when God allows and even commands, me to do what He has expressly forbidden.  “He that is filthy, let him be filthy still.” (Rev. 22:11)

“Come to Bethel [the house of God], and transgress.”  (Amos 4:4)

I am shocked!  Is that because God is unholy?  Not in the least.

He urges that direction because He is holy; He simply wants me to get my fill of sin so completely that the very thought of it nauseates me.  None of the prophets was able to convince Israel to leave their sins; yet seventy years in Babylon did what no prophet could do. 

He sent them captive into the very fountainhead of idolatry, and they came out a cleansed and purified nation after seven decades.

Must God go to such extreme with me?  Must I be submerged in sin in order to see its odiousness?

Lord, my prayer is, make me so sensitive to sin that its slightest presence will send me to Calvary’s blood for protection!

The distinguishing feature of any true disciple of Jesus is a paper-thin sensitivity to sin. 

Being sensitive to sin means zero to NO tolerance of sin.  No excuses, no justification, no looking the other way.   It means we do not want sin in us, around us or continually in our presence.  We live in a fallen world but the world cannot live in us.

When we become comfortable with sin around us, it will soon permeate into our lives and we will find ourselves justifying, accepting and enabling it to remain in our presence.

There is a price to pay for sin; the loss of God’s presence.  He cannot be found in the atmosphere of sin.   He turned His back on sin when His Son took our sins upon the cross, why would He be any different with my sin or the acceptance of sin around me?

I notice that in reading the biographies of the saints----the slightest sin made them mourn, weep, and agonize. 

Lord, make me averse to sin like that, for when I am averse to sin it means the Holy Spirit is deliberately refining me in the divine image; the new heart and the right spirit are displacing the old and the wrong.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.”   Psalm 51:10 NLT

 

No comments:

Post a Comment