Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Heart of Temptation…….


Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.   I Peter 5:8 AMP

I have learned that Satan’s aim in tempting me is to destroy my will.  That is clearly revealed in his tempting Jesus, my pattern. 

Once Jesus had accepted the Father’s will at His baptism, that will was immediately put to the test in the wilderness. (Matt. 4:1-11)  

Each of the three temptations was carefully contrived to weaken Jesus’ grip on the will of His heavenly Father.   Once that grip is loosened, it is only a matter of time before the entire defense breaks down in sin.

Jesus was hungry and tired when Satan met Him in the desert.  The needs of the body are often used as the opening wedge for an attack on the will, whether the need is for food, rest or whatever it may be.  

I make a mistake if I think that Satan will be satisfied merely to trip me up on a physical need; he is after my will.

The way I handle my body is only the symptom of my basic will commitment.  Satan does not try to capture symptoms; he is after the thing that creates the symptoms.

The answer to Satan’s approach through the body is a reaffirmation of my will!

“Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.”  Matt. 4:10 KJV

I can only be victorious over Satan and his allurements when I nail the peg of commitment further into the soil.

 I am strengthened and encouraged by the response of Nehemiah, when asked to compromise with the enemy; “I am doing a great work and I cannot come down” (Neh. 6:3).  

Four times the temptation came and four times Nehemiah reaffirmed his grip on God’s will for him. 

So I must meet Satan head-on and send him packing by determining once again to do God’s will and stick to it, regardless!

That is victory for Jesus, Nehemiah, countless others and I!

“……..He said to them, When you pray, say: Our Father Who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name, Your kingdom come. Your will be done [held holy and revered] on earth as it is in heaven.   Luke 11: 2 AMP

No comments:

Post a Comment