Sunday, October 14, 2012

My Troubler………..


Lord, I know that you defend the cause of the poor
and the rights of the needy.
 The righteous will praise you indeed;
they will live in your presence.”   Psalm 140:12-13 GNT

As a disciple of Christ, I must understand that God will appoint a “troubler” for me.

King Ahab said to Elijah, “Is this you, you troubler of Israel?” (I Kings 18:17)  Elijah was Ahab’s troubler, his thorn in the flesh.   Yet, whether he knew it or not, Elijah was Ahab’s best friend.

Our troubler may be anyone---- a spouse, a boss, a neighbor, a pastor, a child, or a friend.   Who he is is not as important as what he is.   He is God’s appointed messenger to teach us God’s secrets, sometimes painful secrets about our walk with Him. 

Our troubler has a special responsibility to us and we have a special responsibility to him also.

The worst thing I can do to my troubler is to ignore him; the second worst thing is to enter into conflict with him and seek to grind him into the dust!  Those are two natural reactions because my troubler is a threat to my ego and pride; nevertheless, to indulge in those kinds of responses is really to hurt myself far more.

Not all my growth in grace results from positives, such as sermons, books, and conferences.   Some of it results from negatives, like an explosive quarrel, a thorough humiliation, a sharp conviction of sin, or a daily exasperation.  

That is where my troubler comes in.   He drives me to the end of my pride, loftiness, self-sufficiency and right into the waiting arms of Jesus.  Instead of lashing out against my troubler out of sheer desperation, I should repeat, “My troubler, my joy; my troubler my joy!” 

That was David’s attitude toward Shimei, the man who cursed him to his face.  He said, “Let him curse, for the Lord has told him.  Perhaps the Lord will…..return good to me instead of his curing this day.”  (2 Sam. 16:11-12)

The Lord will repay me with good for all the Shimeis I may meet along life’s journey.

I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord
in the land of the living.
 Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the Lord.”   Psalm 27:13-14 NIV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment