Saturday, October 13, 2012

God’s Multiplication Power……….


Enlarge the place of your tent, and let the curtains of your habitations be stretched out; spare not; lengthen your cords and strengthen your stakes…”  Isa. 54:2 AMP

I must learn never to measure God’s resources by mine!

Someone has said, “Little is much when God is in it.”   One of Elisha’s friends, a widow, had only one jar of oil.  (2 Kings 4:1-7)    Instead of telling her to conserve it, he ordered her to do exactly the opposite; pour it out.   Instead of coming to an end of her supply, she continued to pour out a multiplying stream of oil until at last she ran out of containers.   Then it stopped!

How God enabled that oil to multiply is beyond me, but so is much that exists in the spiritual world.   This much is true: how long would the small jar have lasted if left to itself?  

How long would the widow have lived, left to herself?  

How long would any of us last spiritually, left to ourselves?  I think this is where I so often fail.   I see the massive needs all around me and without the multiplying grace of God, I end up broken.

God begins with my small jar, but He does not stop there.  He adds His amazing multiplying power to my words, thoughts, prayers and service until I can hardly recognize myself in them. 

As with the widow’s oil, Someone has taken over and the cup has become a barrel.

Is this not the story of Scripture?   Abraham’s “dead” body---and God;  Moses’ shepherd rod----and God; David’s sling shot---and God; the boy’s small lunch---and God; the twelve disciples---and God!  It is the “and God” that makes all the difference!

If there is any failure, it is in this: I do not give God a chance with what I have.  

But if I do, God becomes my great enhancer and multiplier.  My anchor is God’s own promise: “The smallest one will become a clan and the least one a mighty nation.  I the Lord, will hasten it in its time.”  (Isa. 60:22)

No comments:

Post a Comment