Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fire and a hammer……………..


My message is like a fire and like a hammer that breaks rocks in pieces.”            Jer. 23:29 GNT

The Bible is not only my source of comfort, but it is also my source of bruising.

“Is not My word like fire?” declares the Lord, “and like a hammer which shatters a rock?” Jer. 23:29 KJV

If I have never felt the scorching of the Bible’s heat or the shattering of the Bible’s blow, I am not making much progress as a disciple.  The Bible is a sharp instrument; it pierces, divides, discerns and reaches into the depths of my personality, down to the thoughts and motives of my heart. (Heb. 4:12)

I must beware of the man who preaches a sugar-coated faith.   Faith in God is not an Aladdin’s lamp that grants my every wish.  I must avoid, as I would the plague, the man who preaches “Peace, peace,” continually.  

There are times when the Bible will not give me peace; times when to comfort and assure me would be absolutely damaging to me. 

 How can I sin and not feel the burning fire of the Word?

The false prophet is easily discovered.   He is the man who offers nothing but sugar-coated preaching, peace, joy, security and tranquility.   He does that, of course, because it is what people crave; it provides him a ready audience and a guarantee of success.

A counselor who offers me a rosy goal but never mentions the painful, torturous road to it is not my friend.   Jesus is my true Friend.  He offers me a rewarding future, but “with persecutions.”  (Mark 10:29-30)

He wants to deliver me safe, sound, pure and holy.  That is why His Word must sometimes make me ache with soreness and weep with bitterness.   He knows where it all is leading……to maturity in Christ!

I respond with Mary’s sincere humility: “Behold, the bond slave of the Lord; be it done to me according to your word,” for “my soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.”  (Luke 1:38, 46)

 “Truly, I love your commands
more than gold, even the finest gold.
 Each of your commandments is right.
That is why I hate every false way.”   Psalm 119:127-128  NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment