Friday, October 12, 2012

Overcoming Satan….


   Cry out to me whenever you are in trouble;
I will deliver you, then you will honor me.”    Psalm 50:15 CEB

As a disciple I must seek to overcome not only the world but also Satan.   He is a more deadly foe than the world, because the world is simply a pawn in his hand. (I John 5:19)

The world will tantalize and tease me, but Satan will accuse me. (Rev. 12:10)   The accusations of Satan hit me in a most vulnerable spot; my sinful past.    He is fully aware of the life I have lived and like a dog with a buried bone; he continually digs up what I have long since confessed to God.  

Satan cannot undo my salvation, but he functions like a great pest whose chief delight is to unsettle the mind by simply pointing to acts and facts of which I am aware.   If he can keep me sifted enough to keep me off balance, he thus impairs my ability to serve God fruitfully.  (Luke 22:31)

The remedy for these pest-like attacks is “the blood of the Lamb” and the “testimony” of the efficiency of Jesus’ shed blood. (Rev. 12:11)   Since the forgiveness of my sins lies rooted in what Christ did for me at Calvary, my only recourse is to point to it as often as Satan points to my sins.

The crux of the whole matter is the Word of God: Do I believe the testimony of God concerning His Son’s death on Calvary?  If I do, everything is settled; but if not, then I make God a lair. (I John 5:10)  

It boils down to this: Who is telling a lie, God or Satan?  I overcome Satan the moment I position my faith on God’s Word that my “sins are forgiven for His name’s sake.”  (I John 2:12)

If I take my stand on God’s Word about Calvary, I can become very bold and throw Satan out of the accusing chamber.  I must deal forthrightly with him and not give him the place, time, or allowance to do his work. 

If I am bothered by Satan, I must end it with a firm action, “resist him and he will flee.” 

“…….Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  James 4:7 (b)

No comments:

Post a Comment