Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sin separates us from God

“If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth”.

“If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts”.  I John 1:8,10 NLT

We need to understand that the concealing option is ridiculous.  The truth is that we can never “conceal” or hide our sins from God.

Jer. 2:22 tells us, “Even when you wash yourself with much strong soap, the mark of your sin is still before Me,” says the Lord God.”

Isa. 59:2 states, “…….your misdeeds have separated you from your God.
Your sins have hidden his face from you so that you aren’t heard.”  (CEB)

The separation that is created is not based upon God being angry as much as it is based upon the fact that God cannot fellowship with sin.   John confirms that for us in I John 1:5-6; “Now the message that we have heard from his Son and announce is this: God is light, and there is no darkness at all in him.  If, then, we say that we have fellowship with him, yet at the same time live in the darkness, we are lying both in our words and in our actions.”  (GNT)

If we sin and casually go about our lives, with an attitude of indifference, our relationship with God is damaged or broken.   The sin that we have attempted to hide produces a wall between ourselves and God.

We may not show much of a desire for closeness with God, but He desires that bond with us.   He built us in such a fashion that hidden sin would vex us.   He gave us a conscience that can be burdened by guilt.

We know that guilt can have a devastating effect upon our mental and emotional state.   It often leads to anxiety and depression.  Experts now know that anxiety and depression can cause physical problems in our bodies----fatigue, headaches, heart arrhythmia, body aches, high blood pressure, restlessness, fear, anger, digestive problems, etc…..

David experienced guilt-induced anxiety and depression when he tried to conceal his sins from God.   Not only did he feel the emotional and mental misery, but he experienced the physical affects as well.

God is merciful in that He has built within us an alarm system that can alert us when we begin to stray from the path of righteousness.  The tender conscience, when violated, can cause havoc on us emotionally, mentally and physically.

“When I did not confess my sins,
I was worn out from crying all day long.
 Day and night you punished me, Lord;
my strength was completely drained,
as moisture is dried up by the summer heat.”    Psalm 32:3-4  GNT

“Because of your anger, I am in great pain;
my whole body is diseased because of my sins.
 I am drowning in the flood of my sins;
they are a burden too heavy to bear.

 Because I have been foolish,
my sores stink and rot.
 I am bent over, I am crushed;
I mourn all day long.
 I am burning with fever
and I am near death.
 I am worn out and utterly crushed;
my heart is troubled, and I groan with pain.

I am about to fall and am in constant pain.

 I confess my sins;
they fill me with anxiety.”    Psalm 38:3-8, 17-18 GNT

No comments:

Post a Comment