Saturday, December 10, 2011

Cleanse my heart, O, Lord……

“Have I lied to anyone
or deceived anyone?
 Let God weigh me on the scales of justice,
for he knows my integrity.”    Job 31:5-6 NLT

Al Johnson, convicted of sin, converted to Jesus, went and tried to make things right with the state by confessing his crime.   As it turned out, under a KS statute of limitations, he was set free.   There was no penalty that could legally attach to him for his crime.

David experienced something even better than that.   There is forgiveness, justification, and salvation.

The last step to having a changed heart is cleansing.

David wrote in Psalms 51:7, 9-10 “Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.  Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.”

He recognized the filth of his sin and wanted to be cleansed of it.  He knew the inclination of one’s heart to evil.  He was aware that “the heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick”. 

It was not David’s desire, nor God’s intent, to gloss over sin.  It had to GO!

It is not while we indulge, or excuse, or hide sin, but when we have experienced God’s cleansing that we can know the joy of His salvation.

God has a cleanser that never fails: “the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.”

Someone once said, “Man cannot cope with guilt alone.  I do not care how many worship services you attend or good deeds you do, your goodness is insufficient.  You cannot be good enough to deserve forgiveness….    Quit trying to quench your own guilt.  You cannot do it.  You need Jesus!”

 “Declare me innocent, O Lord, for I have acted with integrity;
I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
 Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me.
Test my motives and my heart.”   Psalms 26:1-2 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment