Thursday, June 2, 2011

“Sermons We See”

“I’d rather see a sermon than hear one, any day;

I’d rather one would walk with me than merely tell the way;

The eye’s a better pupil and more willing than the ear.

Fine counsel is confusing,

 but example’s always clear,

And the best of all the preachers are the men, who live their creeds,

for to see good put in action is what everybody needs.


I soon can learn to do it if

you’ll let me see it done;

I can watch your hands in action,   but your tongue too fast may run.

And the lecture you deliver may be very wise and true,

But I’d rather get my lessons by observing what you do.

For I might misunderstand you and the high advise you give.

But there’s no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.”

Edgar Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment