Friday, June 3, 2011

Just Say the Word

 “…for You have exalted above all else Your name and Your word and You have magnified Your word above all Your name!”     Psalm 138:2 (b)  Amp.

 “Lord, help us to be a “Word” Christian not one who says, “I will not believe, except”…….or “I have to see it to believe it”.

Like (doubting) Thomas and Gideon, they would not budge until ‘they’ saw tangible signs that God was with them.

Signs are comforting and we all need them at times, but the Lord’s desire is to make us “sign-less” Christians who will simply take Him at His Word.

How often have we prayed, “Lord, lead me and show me a sign that I am headed in the right direction or am I doing the right thing”.   There’s nothing wrong with signs after the fact; but it is asking for signs before the fact that shows we are shaky in our faith.

We should emulate the centurion of Capernaum who asked Jesus to heal his sick servant.     He said, “Just say the word and my servant will be healed”.   He was saying to Jesus, You need not come, Your Word is enough.   (Matt 8:5-13)

How often do we take God’s Word as ‘enough’ and not ask for signs?

How often are we like Abraham, whose faith was wrapped in doubt; “what (sign) can you give me since I remain childless….?”  (Gen. 15:2 NIV)

It is no wonder Jesus said in verse 10 (Matt 8), “I have not found anyone in Israel with such faith.”

Abraham wanted to believe God, but his flesh kept getting in the way.   So God accommodated him and gave him the ‘stars’ as a sign. (Gen. 15: 5)   It was then Abraham “believed in the Lord.”  (Vs 6)

But how much better to have said what the centurion said later, “Just say the word!”

“Lord, make me a “Just say the Word” Christian and let me not need to be convinced by ‘signs’.

Let me say with Mary, “Be it done to me according to Your word.”  (Lk 1:38)

“Forever, O LORD,
Your word is settled in heaven.
 Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
You established the earth, and it abides.”    Psalm 119:89-90  NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment