Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Dependent Life……


“……He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him.”   John 8:29 KJV

“God, my life must be a copy of Your Son’s life on this earth.”

I may never copy all of His acts such as raising the dead, feeding the five thousand, walking on water but I am to copy Him.

As He is, so also are we in this world.” (I John 4:17)    Just as Jesus went through a certain pattern, so I am to duplicate that pattern in my life.

The patter is one of dependence.  “By myself I can do nothing.”  (John 5:30)

Those are not the words of a helpless Christian, but the strong Son of God.   He deliberately chose to live a life of utter dependence upon His heavenly Father.  He taught only what His Father allowed Him to teach; He revealed as truths only what His Father permitted; He walked only where His Father directed.

No life has ever been lived on this earth in such absolute dependence upon God, His Father, as the life of Jesus. 

In that same sense I am to copy Jesus. 

“Without me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5 KJV)

To accept Jesus as Savior and Master is to become a dependent.

“……“My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will.”  (Matthew 27: 39 NASB)

What would have happened if Jesus had become independent of His heavenly Father?  

What happens when I become independent of Him?   The result is complete confusion and misery.   Just as Jesus was necessary to His Father’s plan of salvation for mankind, so are we necessary to the ongoing of that salvation today.

A breakdown of obedience means a breakdown of the instrument of salvation to others.

What a responsibility that is, and yet what a joy!   Who else in the world offers us an opportunity to connect to an eternal scheme, in which what we do now has consequences that will never die?

Jesus calls us to follow “in His steps” that is to live the life He lived on this earth. (I Peter 2:21)

What an honor to represent Jesus in all we do!

Our actions and words will reveal Jesus in our heart or……………..

 “Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit.   You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.  

The good man brings out of his good treasure what is good; and the evil man brings out of his evil treasure what is evil.   But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment.  For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”   Matthew 12: 33-37  NASB

No comments:

Post a Comment