Thursday, September 27, 2012

Intercessors


My friends, how I wish with all my heart that my own people might be saved! How I pray to God for them!”  Romans 10:1 GNT

One of the richer purposes God has for me as a Christian is that I become an intercessor.

An intercessor is someone for whose sake others are blessed.  You and I are forgiven our sins “for Christ’s sake” (Eph. 4:32 KJV).

Every spiritual blessing God bestows upon men is due to Christ’s intercession for us. (Eph. 1:3)

Jesus is the perfect Intercessor whose life and character earned Him the right to plead with God for others.   But the privilege of interceding for others is also given to His followers. 

Moses interceded time and again for his people Israel, and for the sake of Israel was both spared and blessed as a nation. (Ex. 32:11-15)

The outstanding quality God requires of all intercessors is not sinlessness; otherwise no one could qualify, but utter selflessness.

Moses was willing to be blotted out in order that Israel might be spared destruction. (Ex. 32:32)

Paul was willing to be “cursed” in order that Israel might be saved.  (Rom. 9:3)

Am I that kind of an intercessor?

Intercession need not be an earthshaking ministry but a simple one.

Lot was blessed for Abraham’s sake and Jacob’s family was exalted for Joseph’s sake. (Gen. 19:29, 47:6)

Am I that disciple for whose sake others around me are favored by God?

God is looking for intercessors and is delighted when He finds a person to bless others.  (Isa. 59:16)

God wants me to have an intercessor’s heart, one that feels keenly the pain and sin of others.   Then, for my sake, He will bless them!

My attitude should always be that of Samuel, “Far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by ceasing to pray for you; but I will instruct you in the good and right way.”  (I Sa. 12:23)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment