Sunday, September 30, 2012

Dependent upon the Holy Spirit……………


“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
Because the Lord has anointed me
To bring good news to the afflicted;
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to captives
And freedom to prisoners..”  Isa. 61:1 NASB

What was Jesus’ relationship to the Holy Spirit?

One of complete dependence!

Nowhere do we read that Jesus performed any miracles or uttered marvelous teachings before His baptism and filling by the Holy Spirit.  But at His baptism, at about age thirty, God filled Him with His Spirit “without measure.”  (John 3:34)

From that point on Jesus was a dynamo of power, healing, teaching and snatching people from death and from demon possession.  Even His ability to die for us on Calvary was accomplished through the Holy Spirit. (Heb. 9:14)

That simple dependence upon the Holy Spirit was necessary on Jesus’ part for the accomplishing of God’s will through Him.  It is necessary on my part if I am to accomplish God’s will through me.  God does not build His work on my personality, gifts or abilities; He builds it on the Holy Spirit in me, with or without my abilities.

The world calls Jesus a “religious genius” which is nonsense.   Jesus, the Son of God, chose to allow the Holy Spirit work completely through Him, and the “genius” aspect of Jesus’ life is simply the Holy Spirit doing the will of the Father through the obedient Son.

Victorious Christian living is not me “fulfilling myself” rather; it is letting the Holy Spirit fulfill Himself in me.  If Jesus, the perfect Son of God, felt it necessary to surrender completely to the Holy Spirit, then certainly I must feel the same way.

“Have Your way Holy Spirit in me to fulfill God’s will in my life.  I surrender it to you completely!”

Thank God, it is possible!  Being Spirit filled is not a privilege of the Son only, it can be shared with each one of us. 

Ephesians 5:18 says, “Be filled with the Spirit…..” 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment