Thursday, March 1, 2012

Appeasement or Soldier?

“……and do not give the devil a foothold.”  Eph. 4:27 NIV

I remember the bitter lesson king Ahaz learned in trying to play both ends against the middle.  He appeased the king of Assyria by giving him expensive gifts from the Temple.  The results?

“He helped him not” (II Chr. 28:21KJV).    Poor, distressed Ahaz turned to Syria and sacrificed to its gods, “but they were the ruin of him” (vs. 23).  The king’s mistaken hope was that in appeasing the enemy he would be satisfied and move away. The more he appeased, the worse the situation became!

Am I so self-deceived that I believe that if I give in to sin, its grip will be weaker over me?  Do I believe that I can control sin in my life and it will not control me?

Do I really think that if I give in to Satan he will thereafter leave me alone?

I like Paul’s word, “Do not give the devil an opportunity” (Eph. 4:27).  Do NOT give him a chance to maneuver, get a foothold, or a grip on you.  Do NOT give him the satisfaction of a look, a taste, a glance or an ear.   Look at the wreckage of those who gave him a chance----Eve, Achan, David, Judas, Gehazi, Ananias, Sapphira ….………the price is too steep!

Our carnal nature loves to appease.  We shrink from pain and struggle; so it is easier to walk in appeasement.  

Appeasement is the habit of a slovenly life, not the habit of a soldier.  

There is something inwardly that crumbles if I am not able to stand up to the enemy and say as Jesus said, “Get thee behind me Satan!” 

Appeasement is my confession of defeat, justification and failure.  It is my resignation from discipleship and my surrender to the one who nailed Jesus to the cross. 

Appeasement is the fruit of compromise. 

Justification is a seed for compromise.

Lord, help us say with Paul; “Not for a moment did we yield” (Gal. 2:5).  Each refusal to appeasement will strengthen us and each resistance will make us a better soldier of Jesus Christ.

Let us take a stand and say, “I will not walk in appeasement only to satisfy my flesh”. 

“Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.”  Eph. 6:13 NIV




No comments:

Post a Comment