Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Lord’s portion……..


“Kings and queens will serve you
and care for all your needs.
They will bow to the earth before you
and lick the dust from your feet.
Then you will know that I am the Lord.
Those who trust in me will never be put to shame.”   Isaiah 49:23 NLT

The prodigal son in Luke 15 is God’s reminder to me of what happens when I say to Him, “Hands off my life!”  

That unfortunate son, by taking his inheritance and moving out, was saying to his father, “From now on I will be my own master.”  He denied his father the right to direct him, which in essence was a denial of his father’s love and integrity.

Every disobedient Christian is an unconscious blasphemer.   The moment I strike out for the far country, that moment I have condemned the character of God before the world.

The pity is that, in the long run, I do not hurt God, I only hurt myself.   The father’s reputation did not suffer, but the son wound up in the pigpen.

If I take my life into my own hands, I will be a candidate for the pigpen also.  The choice is mine: either the warmth of the Father’s house or else the cold, smelly, bleak wetness of the pigsty.

The prodigal son made another mistake: demanding his inheritance now, instead of waiting for his father’s time.   By his impatience the son plucked his inheritance while it was green, unready.

How often have I done that!  My craving nature has cried out, “Now, Lord, now!”  Then I discover my mistake and did not enjoy my portion at all.  If only I had waited!

I must learn never to snatch from God’s hands His daily care, guidance and provision for my life.  I must not say, “Lord, give me what is mine,” but Lord, give me only what is Yours.”

The difference is peace!   Further, when I “wait” on the Lord, I shall never be “put to shame” nor be disappointed with His portion.

“Indeed, let no one who waits on You be ashamed;
Let those be ashamed who deal treacherously without cause.”  Psalm 25:3 NKJV

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment