Saturday, January 7, 2012

Determined Heart………

“I hate anyone whose loyalty is divided, but I love your Law.

You are my place of safety and my shield.

Your word is my only hope.

All of you worthless people, get away from me!

I am determined to obey the commands of my God.

Be true to your word, LORD.

Keep me alive and strong; don't let me be ashamed because of my hope.

Keep me safe and secure, so that I will always respect your laws.

You reject all deceitful liars because they refuse your teachings.

As far as you are concerned, all evil people are garbage, and so I follow your rules.

I tremble all over when I think of you and the way you judge.”  Psalms 119:113-120 CEV

We can compare the Christian life to a battle:

 The battle from within: The psalmist doesn't mince words in verse 113: "I hate double-minded men."   God, too, despises hypocrisy.

He has no tolerance for divided loyalties.  As believers, we should despise what God despises.

It's easy to point out the hypocrisy in others, but what about me?    I'm so ashamed and revolted by my own divided heart.

Give me an undivided heart, Lord!

The battle weapon in verse 114 is worth memorizing!  "You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word."  In this verse, the Word is described as a defensive weapon...a safe place to hide and a barrier to protect us from the arrows and bullets of the evil one.

Hebrews 4:12 describes the word as an offensive weapon. "For the word of God is living and active.  Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to the dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."


No comments:

Post a Comment