Wednesday, November 16, 2011

“My heart will not be afraid…..”

“The wicked run when no one is chasing them, but an honest person is as brave as a lion”.   Prov. 28:1  GNT

It is amazing how much the Bible has to say on courage. 

Joshua 1:6-7 says, ““Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them.  Be strong and very courageous.   Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you.   Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left.   Then you will be successful in everything you do”  (NLT).

Again we are reminded in Joshua 1:9 with, “This is my command—be strong and courageous!   Do not be afraid or discouraged.   For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (NLT) 

One way we can deal with fear is to remember our position.   The Bible tells us the righteous are bold, not the wicked. 

The first step to courage is to remember who you are in Jesus Christ, to remember that in Him you are strong and victorious! 

We must confront our fears.   You will be gripped with fear until you decide to confront it.   Fear will win every day until you stand up, look that fear straight in the face, and say, “You are not going to win over me anymore.  By the help of God and with the power of the Holy Spirit within me, I am going to win!”   You will never win until you rise up and confront the thing that is dragging you down.

Courage is nothing more than seeing the fear and taking action against it.

God has given us a sound mind so that we can look at our problems.   He has given us power so we can overcome, and He has given us love so we can respond in His character.

A healthy mind is absolutely essential to getting free from fear.   The Bible says, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.”    There is a negative side to this and a positive side.   The negative side is that you have to cut the negative people out of your life, those who are dragging you down.

You have to sensor your input so you are not listening to people who are feeding your fears.   The positive side is found in Romans 12:2: “Be not conformed to the world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind”.  

Put the Word of God in one ear and the fear will go out the other ear.    Fill your mind with the Word of God, and you will not have time to dwell in the depths of overcoming fear.

You have to live in such a way as if the fear did not exist.   I John 4:18 says, “Perfect love casts out fear”.    You can either have the love of God or you can have fear generated by Satan, but you cannot have them both dominating your life at the same time.

Courage is facing and dealing with the impossible situations of life and still believing in God, still rejoicing in His goodness.

“The Lord is my light and my salvation—
so why should I be afraid?
The Lord is my fortress, protecting me from danger,
so why should I tremble?


 When evil people come to devour me,
when my enemies and foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.


 Though a mighty army surrounds me,
my heart will not be afraid.
Even if I am attacked,
I will remain confident”.   Psalms 27:1-3 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment