Thursday, October 20, 2011

God’s Word Is a Fire and Hammer……

“My words are a powerful fire; they are a hammer that shatters rocks”.                 Jer. 23:29 CEV

I must realize that the Bible is not only my source of comfort, but also my source of bruising.

If I have never felt the scorching heat of God’s Word or the shattering of the Bible’s blow, I am not making much progress as a disciple.

The Bible is a sharp sword; it pierces, divides, discerns, and teaches the depths of my personality, down to the thoughts and motives of my heart. (Heb. 4:12)

We must be aware of the person who preaches a sugar-coated faith.   Faith in God is not an Aladdin’s lamp that grants our every wish.

The false teacher is the person who offers nothing but peace, honey, joy, security and prosperity.   They do that, of course, because it is what man craves, they are people-pleasers; it provides a ready- made audience and a “guarantee” of success.

There are times when God’s Word will not give us peace.

Jesus is our true Friend.  He offers us a rewarding future, but not without “persecution” (Mk 10:29-30).   He wants to deliver us safe and holy.   That is why His Word must sometimes make us ache with soreness and weep with bitterness.

We should respond with Mary’s sincere humility, “I am the Lord’s servant.  May everything you have said about me come true…….Oh, how my soul praises the Lord”.  Luke 1:38,46 NLT

“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart”.  Heb. 4:12 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment