Friday, July 1, 2011

First Love or Second Best?

“….what I want is not your possessions, but you…..”   II Cor. 12:14  NIV

The priest of Malachi’s day were content to lay stale, moldy bread on the altar of God. (Mal. 1:7)

We must remember that as the sacrifice is, so is our heart.

We must never afford God the privilege of the ‘second best’.  

It is always easy to judge our service to God…..is it more or less what I would do for myself?

To be an exemplary servant we must emulate Paul’s attitude, “I do not seek what is yours, but you….”  (II Cor. 12:14 KJV)

The moment we let our eyes waver from the man to his possessions we are in danger of choosing second best.   Gehazi’s action should warn and frighten us…he loved Naaman’s possessions more than Naaman himself and his need for healing.  (II Kings 5:20-27)

Is my love for God a ‘first fruit’?

Is it an offering of the ‘first born’?

Does He come first or do I give Him what’s left over?

Do I spend time with Him or do I apologize for being too busy or too tired, promising to catch Him tomorrow?

I must learn that the condition of whatever I offer God is indicative of how much I value Him.

Is He stale, moldy or sickly to me?  If so, that is how I will return His service.

We should be encouraged by God’s word to Abraham: “You have not withheld your son, your only son (from Me).” (Gen. 22:16)

God wants from us an offering that by its nature shows Him how much we love Him.   If He is our all in all, then we will put NO price on our offering, as He did not when He gave His Son for each one of us and in doing so, He showed us the best sacrifice forever.

We must be watchful of the quality of service we give to God.

“Train me, God, to walk straight;
then I'll follow your true path.
Put me together, one heart and mind;
then, undivided, I'll worship in joyful fear.
From the bottom of my heart I thank you, dear Lord;
I've never kept secret what you're up to.”   Psalms 86:11-12  Message Bible


No comments:

Post a Comment